Influenza, commonly referred to as “the flu,” is a contagious respiratory illness caused by an influenza virus. In its early stages, influenza’s symptoms are difficult to distinguish from those of a common cold: runny nose, sore throat, and sneezing. However, key signs of influenza are the sudden onset of a high fever and/or extreme fatigue.
The majority of people who get influenza recover in less than 2 weeks, especially with plenty of bed rest and fluids (though, in some cases, you may be prescribed antiviral medications to accelerate recovery). However, influenza can become deadly if complications arise. People at higher risk for developing complications include:
- Young children under 5 (and especially those under 2 years)
- Adults older than 65
- Pregnant women
- People with weakened immune systems
- People who have chronic illnesses
- People who are very obese
If you are in one of the groups above and exhibiting flu symptoms, it’s highly advised to seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Whether you’re looking to get your flu shot or already experiencing symptoms, PrimaCare Medical Centers are your go-to place for all things flu-related. Our highly qualified providers will make sure you have all the help you need to get you and your family through flu season safely. Plus, with shorter wait times, lower costs, and the friendliest staff you’ll ever meet, there’s no reason to go anywhere else. Visit one of our branches today.
Visit PrimaCare for:
- Abscess incision and drainage
- Allergic reactions
- Athlete’s foot/fungus infection
- Burns from heat or chemical exposure
- Diaper rash
- Ear infection
- Eye infection
- Flu symptoms
Find A Location
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Insect bites
- Itchy skin
- Runny nose
- Sinus infection
- Skin allergy
- Skin infections
- Sore throat
- STD testing and treatment
- Stomachaches and stomach pains
- Urinary tract infections
- Wound infection
- If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, please call 9-1-1 immediately.